Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Power of Pausing

I am an eternal optimist, always preferring to see the positive in a situation, always ready to dive into a new project or course. Optimism is a wonderful state of mind and can take you through many dark days but the down side can happen when the eager optimist jumps into something not quite so wonderful under the surface gloss. I have learned the value of the power of pausing before jumping. Most offers coming our way have a realistic time limit before requiring our response. I have learned to stop myself mid jump and pause ...........during which time I absorb this new idea or event or course offering. I may jot down notes or investigate further or check references or any number of things before diving in. Ultimately, the pause allows me to determine if I am still excited about it one or two or more days later. If I am, I will often go for it. If not, well then it wasn't meant to be. I have saved a lot of time and money by practicing the power of the pause.

No comments: