Friday, July 30, 2010

What's wrong with a placebo?

I have been a reflexologist since 1997 and I played with it for years before that. This healing modality has surprised me repeatedly with what it can do. I will be the first to admit that it cannot do all things for all people, but really, what can? Think about it. There are no wonder drugs out there that work for every condition. There are no healing modalities that have a one hundred percent success rate.

My gumption gets riled when people attribute success in healing to placebos. The implication is that a placebo is a false deity. They shake their heads at the people they feel have succumbed to the placebo affect. So let's analyze this placebo affect. The individual is better. They have had a successful response to treatment. In the case of a placebo response to a healing modality that does not involve ingesting medication, they have not taxed their liver and kidneys by processing medications. Personalize it. You are sick, you try a healing modality like reflexology. You feel better. Your friends or family say it is a placebo affect. You are better. I'd take it. I know reflexology works and I know the mechanism is not always placebo affect. But I will embrace these successes as well. The client is better. This is why we offer reflexology. We want people to heal themselves. If the result is through a placebo affect so be it. Let's not make it a dirty word.

1 comment:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

If we were a sane species we would study the placebo effect and cultivate it!