Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Overcoming Apathy

Apathy comes in all shapes and sizes. Some people are apathetic emotionally, no extremes of emotions for them. Some people are apathetic about their careers, I can claim a bit of guilt there. My biggest form of apathy falls under the heading of "Spending Big Money". The house needs some changes. It is feeling smaller and smaller as the boys get bigger and bigger. Parts of it are showing signs of age. I can relate there as well. I can put off updates on the house for quite a while if I know there are big bucks involved. So, the basement renovation has been on hold for 5 years. My poor reflexology students have shivered down there every winter. I justified it by saying it was keeping them awake for learning. Luckily I teach more in the fall and spring then in the winter. So I'd look at the basement and imagine the thousands of dollars it would take to fix it up and I'd shove that idea aside once again.
How did I overcome this apathy? Well I started pricing a new house. Yowsa. It will cost me over $100,000 for an additional 1000 sq. feet. It will cost me significantly less than that to finish my basement that is approximately 1000 sq. feet. Sold!!!!! I feel like I scored a good deal. Just hope the contractor I hire doesn't suffer from apathy.

No comments: